Monday, June 26, 2006

Sur le Pont, d'Avignon...


I used to sing the nursery rhyme Sur le Pont, d'Avignon in much the same way I am communicating now while in France. Gibberish. I think I made up words like ... lonny's dancing, lonny's dancing... I didn't know any Lonny but it just sounded right.

Yesterday, I was in Avignon and visited the Palais des Papes (Popes' Palace) and the famous bridge - Pont St Bénézet. I even took one of those petite train rides like a true tourist. There was much more to see there; however, I ran out of time and by then my feet were aaaccchhhiiiiinng. I wish my feet could keep up with the rest of me.



I wasn't actually all that impressed with the Palace. I had an audio guide which gave a lot of description but only really saw the rooms in a big stone palace. All the luxeries were taken with them when they left but it was easy to imagine the little Popes running up and down all the stairs in the narrow passages. They must have had strong legs and great butts. This photo includes the church with a golden Madonna. I didn't realize that there were 9 Popes there over a course of almost 100 years in the 14th Century.


My favourite part of Provence so far is the aroma from the herb fields all around. As my mother could attest (since she switched places with me at the Riders v. Stamps game to sit next to the man with bad body odour) I am blessed with a big nose for a reason, that being I have the most sensitive sense of smell ever. As you could imagine, this can be a curse as well as a blessing.

I picked some lavender and carried it around with me just in case... but now all I can smell is lavender.

Before Avignon, I was in Nimes (pardon, I can't find a way to put that little ^ on the i). Nimes seemed much cleaner and more polished than Séte but I could smell the disinfectant so they must pee on the streets there also. By the way, what is it with men here? Do they need to mark their territory or something? I remember my brothers peeing all over the place when they were little kids but I'm almost certain they have grown out of that phase. I hope! Possibly its because they have to pay 50 cents for a toilet without paper or a seat.

Enough about that. If you are an architecture buff you would definitely want to check this place out.

Sorry J, I didn't get to the Pont du Gard but I did take a stone from this Roman temple, Maison Carrée, which was built in 1st Century AD. It's in my backpack. I'll carry it around for a while and maybe post it to you later. Check out those nostrils!

Here's another famous ampitheatre, Les Arénes, where they still use it for bull fights, etc today. Also built in 1st Century AD and in amazingly excellent condition. I didn't take the tour as I only took 100£ with me that day and was considering the challenge of going on to Nice and seeing how far I could get along the French Riviera with only that amount.

I changed my mind after the cab ride to the train in which I could have walked in 10 min but got lost in garden before hand and didn't want to miss my train but ended up missing it anyway cost 15£.

Here's the 18th Century garden I got lost in... quite spectacular! It's like what you see in all the romantic stories... Romeo and Juliette or Wuthering Heights.

I was getting bored with scenery shots so had to give you some of myself. That expression is the same look you might see after I smell dirty diapers on trains, dog shit, or... you might be able to guess it. Yes, that's it -urine on the street!!

Many great places to stop and look at here. I love seeing the white horses and castles while on the road. Ilsa recommends... but would suggest a drive in a car instead of train.

3 Comments:

At Monday, June 26, 2006 5:03:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Lisa, It is nice to see that you are enjoying your time away from Canada. I wish I had a chance to see you before you left, however duty called. Make sure you try the truffles in France. Not to be a loser or anything, but they are incredible. I am not sure if you are visiting Spain at all, but since you are not too far away from there, try to get to Barcelona. It is without a doubt the most fun city in the world.
Have fun over there, and try not to get into too much trouble. Take care.

 
At Monday, June 26, 2006 9:08:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If your feet are so sore, you might consider leaving the stones on the ground rather than carrying them around!

Sounds like you're having a great time - I'm green with envy!

Chandra

 
At Tuesday, June 27, 2006 11:32:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like you're having a fantastic time Lisa! I'm so jealous!!!

If you have a chance, another medieval city you might want to check out is Eze (along the Riviera) between Cannes and Nice. I took a bus tour from Cannes to Monte Carlo for the day and fell in love with the entire area. And if you get a chance, check out the Fragonard parfume factory - but make sure you have your visa card so you can buy a little touch of indulgence :-)

By the way, where will you be in September? Maybe we can hook up when we're in Europe on our honeymoon!

Shawn

 

Post a Comment

<< Home