Monday, June 19, 2006

Carcassonne


This Mediaeval (it's not my spelling this time, its the way they spell 'Medieval' in France) Cité is the largest Medieval fortress in Europe. The Cité's defences are the culmination of many centuries of fortifications built on this spot by the Gauls, Romans, Visigoths, Moors, and Franks. If it sounds like I'm copying from a text, I am (Lonely Planet France 1st Edition 1994). The only train didn't arrive in Carcassonne until 1600 hrs and I opted to walk the half hour to from the train instead of taxi so I ended up being pressed for time to discover everything. The Cité is very impressive and amazingly well kept. The girls from Montreal who I travelled there with were staying in a really cool hostel right inside.

I spent an hour walking aound inside and between the outside walls (where the knights used to joust). There was a map with the highlights but I was getting tired and knew I wouldn't retain anything so my sore feet took me a little pub where the World Cup game between Australia and Brazil was starting. There were only a few seats but some Aussies let me sit with them as long as I cheered for their team. It was the first match I watched and I really got into it. It certainly takes a lot more patience to watch than hockey... such an effort to score one goal.

The experience was a little surreal, watching a plasma sceen situated in front of huge chestnut tree which was shading us sitting in a courtyard with high stone walls. Our team lost but the we never could have matched the spirit of the Brazil fans when the game was over anyway.

On the way though was a little remeniscent of West Edmonton Mall's Bourbon Street... I can't imagine there being dozens of dress boutiques and gift shops in Medieval days!

From walking on those stones I have unbelievable blisters on my feet today. I look like I have a sixth toe on my left foot!!

Anyway, Ilsa recommends!


Apparently above is the view featured in Robin Hood, Prince of Thiefs from 1991 (but you won't find that in their brochures)

The photo to your right is a Basilica - very intricate stained glass all around and piped choir music. I sat in awesome wonder against a cool stone pillar to take it all in (that was before the 3 beers)

1 Comments:

At Thursday, June 22, 2006 11:18:00 PM, Blogger Rob Huck said...

that's some sweet stuff, sis.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home