Thursday, June 15, 2006

Le Sud de France

So here I am in the South of France. I landed in Séte (if you want to check Séte out on a map - it is SE France along Mediterranean coast, near Montpellier) on Saturday but haven't travelled outside of it as yet. Turns out I came down with a bug and have not had the energy to go very far each day.

I couldn't have a better place to nurture myself, however. Johnathan's place is lovely. It's newly refurbished in an old character building. I knew I was home when I saw the face of the roman lady in front bearing my profile (poor thing.. forever in stone).

I have yet to get my camera working (a story of french bureaucracy I'll save for another day) so will post photos once that mission is accomplished. I can't wait to share the beauty of this area with you. There is so much colour and character everywhere. Séte is a fishing town of 40,000 people. I'm in the heart of city and its quite busy. There is always something to look at here. There are beautiful parks with flowers and fountains. Fishing boats and the canals bring so much colour and activities. The people are friendly and try their best to communicate despite my slaughtering of their language.

It turns out I really don't know how to speak french. The 'frenglish' thing just isn't working. At first, I would practice before going into the store or café and proudly recite my phrase. After too many attempts, the look of bewilderment on everyone's faces was more than my esteem could handle. They are happy to speak English if they can and now I am so confused that I feel I know less than when I arrived. I'm on French hiatus for a few days until I recover.

I thought a day at the beach would cure me of this nasty cold so off I went... not knowing how far. I'm still not sure in normal steps but my slow mode of the day took about 45 min, stopping to check out views, etc. I went to the first beach but I know there are bigger and better stretches (a few km long) further up the road - will check them out tomorrw. Preparing for some R'nR I found a cozy, semi-private spot to bare all and there it was... a blinding light which I later discovered to be the cause of tidal waves and Tsunami's all over the Mediterranean. You may have even seen the affects at home... No, that was no eclipse... it was my glaring white body (some thought it might be a Virgin Mary sighting). The opthamalogists in Séte are very busy this week.

So much yet to do today so will tell you a little more about Séte tomorrow.

Au revoir!!

5 Comments:

At Thursday, June 15, 2006 11:34:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Lisa! Bonjour Sete!
So I can see you have a lot of fun there and you're like improving your english speaking with the local people! :-) lol
I'm glad you're finally arrived to your place in south of France after some adventures in Paris... ;-) You were far for the Guiness record to see Paris: Somepeople did in 2 hours!
But I'm sure you'll be back there.
Have you practised the game "la Petanque" yet? and did you try the local drink "Pastis"...

Have great time,
I'm right now with Amir. We're thinking about you.
Gros Bisous, et pratique ton Francais... dis leur que tu as oublié ton anglais au Canada ;-)
C'est un plaisir de lire ton Blog,
Vincent

 
At Thursday, June 15, 2006 2:19:00 PM, Blogger Ilsa said...

Oh you are sweet Vincent. I wish you were here to help me - many things have been lost in translation so far. And I haven't seen la Petanque, or as I know it Bochi Ball, yet. I'll keep my eyes open for it now. xo

 
At Thursday, June 15, 2006 2:27:00 PM, Blogger Ilsa said...

oops... 'bocci' ball

 
At Friday, June 16, 2006 10:22:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lisa, if you get the chance, go see the Pont du Gard at Nimes - a 2000 year old Roman aqueduct, and a fantastic example of engineering.

http://www.greatbuildings.com/buildings/Pont_du_Gard.html

And if nobody's looking, swipe one of its bricks as a souvenir for me. (maybe one not stucturally necessary, though). Thanks.

 
At Saturday, June 17, 2006 6:51:00 AM, Blogger Ilsa said...

Thanks J. I am considering Nimes so will look it up. Stew.. get your ass over here - we'll have a blast!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home