Monday, June 12, 2006

You can't do Paris in a day!!

But you sure can try. And so I did... much to my chagrin I had to stay another night in Paris. Although I have always wanted to check it out, it was not on my itinerary for this trip, mostly due to expense. Plus, when I ended up at the Train Station (Gare du Nord) late the night before, I was unimpressed. It had been many hours of traveling... in fact, minus the time change, I spent my entire birthday in airports, on a plane, train, and train stations without seeing the light of day.

So you can imagine how much I was anticipating getting outside once I determined I would have to overnight there. There I was... midnight.. finally outside to take a deep gulp of French air... then almost vomitting due to the rank smell of urine. Turns out that it's not the best neighborhood and definitely not how I had envisioned the city of cafés and high fashion. There were homeless people and 'subjects of interest' all around me - me who was more than a little obvious with my backpack, large frame, fearful expression, etc. You've never seen a backpacker get her ass to a Hotel so quickly!!

The next day, after a few hours of sleep and discovering I couldn't get a train yet again, I knew I had to get out of that area. It was 2PM zhen I finally started my walking tour. Here are some highlights.

The Sacré Coeur was my first stop and a 20 min walk away. I never actually thought I'd get to see anything else since my feet and back were severely pained but I kept getting more and more inspired. There's a market behind there, in a cobble-stoned village. So glad I didn't miss it. Because it was close I made my way to the Moulin Rouge district... next time I may go back at night and work my way around!! Then a cemetary (can't remember name but trust me - its famous), the Eiffel Tower, and my favorite, Musée du Louvre. I knew I wanted to see the Mona Lisa but there are not enough hours in the day to see everything there, and I only had two. I highly recommend http://http://www.louvre.fr/llv/commun/home_flash.jsp?bmLocale=en. By the way that painting is way smaller than I had imagined.

I almost gave up with the thought of putting my feet to rest but kept going along the Sienne... the sun was setting and I could see the Eiffel Tower behind me. It was the beautiful day and the scenery and the people were... well C'est magnifique!!

Finally, after seeing the Notre Dame from the outside only, I stopped for a bite at what I thought was an above-average cafè and food was quite good - must have been the magot I discovered mid-way through.

There is so much yet to see there so will be on my list of places to go for sure. I recommend!!

6 Comments:

At Monday, June 12, 2006 5:19:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Lisa,

i know that cemetary you are talking about i can pronounce it but I won't even attempt to spell it. Jim Morrison and Oscar Wilde are buried there. Take a picture of Jim's site for me and a momento if at all possible if you ever get back that way.

Sound like your shoes are getting some good milage.

Did you really find a maggot in your food??? eewwwww. Send the name of the place so we can all boycott.

Six dollar expresso??? Must have been 1/2 price day at Starbucks,. ask around maybe they have a Le Timothy 'Ortons much more reasonable I found. LOL.

Anyway keep us in the loop

Cory-

 
At Monday, June 12, 2006 9:30:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The cemetery is Pere Lachaise - it's fabulous. If you're into cemeteries in Paris then Montparnasse and Montmartre are also very good.

 
At Tuesday, June 13, 2006 2:48:00 AM, Blogger Ilsa said...

Personally, I think they need a Tim's. Maybe I'll buy a franchise there someday.

Thanks J, it was Montmartre - Pere Lachaise will have to wait.

 
At Tuesday, June 13, 2006 12:32:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What I really need to understand is how you have 110lbs of stuff in your pack. Also, your pack should have wheels if that's the case man. I remember the cafe's well. In fact, don't go in one expecting to sit down, it is a stand up affair. Did everything look pink? THey say Paris is the city you see "through rose colored glasses".

Deanne

 
At Tuesday, June 13, 2006 2:08:00 PM, Blogger Ilsa said...

now you tell me, D. Don't worry, I'll be dumping a lot of that before next departure.
Stew you described it well... maybe you could write this for me.

 
At Wednesday, June 14, 2006 12:35:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lisa, Great blog! Looking forward to reading more about your adventures!
Susan

 

Post a Comment

<< Home