Thursday, June 15, 2006

Rotary Around the World



Finally I figured out how to post photos on here.. its been an ordeal with the new camera and the blog instructions in French. This week children have been racing with these row boats down the canal every afternoon. The excitement they exuded was intoxicating and everyone stopped to watch them... far more spirit than I've witnessed at any NHL game.

Those who know me know that I belong to the Rotary Club of Calgary Millennium. It is a comfort to know there are clubs around the world that will offer camaraderie just for being a member. It's also a great organization which shares my values and allows my input into what charities we support.

Thus, feeling a bit off with inability to make connections due to language barrier, I decided to check out one of the Rotary clubs in Séte.

Throughout the week I had been admiring, or 'pondering' might be a better word, the fashionable women walking around here in high heels. How do they do it? They don't seem particularily comfortable on those cobble stone hills? Does it just take time to become accustomed to it?

So I thought I would try it out... off I went to the Rotary meeting, all decked out (in the finest attire my backpack and common sense would allow). I thought I looked pretty hot, even my crazy hair which I can't normally control in this humidity, didn't look too bad (in fact I know some who would call it 'big sexy hair'). Anyway, enough about my hair. As soon as I stepped out I saw beautiful women all over, gracefully walking around with their high heels and perfect clothes. I wasn't going to let them ruin my confidence. I held my head high and walked on... yep, right through biggest mound of dog doo doo you ever saw. And believe me, there are a lot of splats to choose from here. What is it about France? Wouldn't it be easier to ask people to have their dogs squat on the road or at least the side of the walkway instead of cleaning off the sidewalks every morning?? Je ne comprénde pas!

According the the Rotary International website, the meeting for the club was supposed to start at 8pm. After cleaning my footwear (and toes) in the grass, I managed to arrive 15 min early. The men were charming. They said they were happy to have me since it is an exclusively male club and my visit is an exception. The only fluent English speaker captivated my time. He is an Ambassadeur de France and in 1963, the diplomat was posted in Ottawa. Monsieur did not let anyone else speak to me much so I have no idea why the meeting ended at 8pm. I was disappointed as had expected a nice meal at very elegant Grand Hotel. However, a whiskey and invitations to join them for further events made the evening worthwhile.






0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home