Sunday, May 27, 2007

Moscow River


It's still hot - mid 30's this week in Moscow. I hung around the Moscow River to keep myself cool. Here's a shot of the Kremlin.

We wanted to take a river boat ride on Friday but the boats were all reserved for the students finishing the school year. May 25th is annual date of finishing. All the students were partying on the boats and in the streets. They were easily identified by the red ribbons they adorned around their bodies. I like this tradition.
People just hanging out, eating ice cream near Red Square... it's the first time I've stepped barefoot on grass since I've been here.
The next day a bunch of us took the boat ride along the Moscow River, after waiting an hour and a half in a queue. It was worth it to feel the cool breeze and leisurely take in the sights. I can't believe how different the city seems after six months of navigating myself via the underground metro.
You can see an enormous Peter the Great statue behind the chocolate factory.

There are a few modern buildings popping up.


One of the Stalinist seven sisters, which are easily recognizable throughout the city. I think this one is just an apartment building but others contain more importance like Moscow State University and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
The Cathedral of Christ the Savior, where Yeltsin's funeral was held, was commissioned by Tsar Alexander to commerate Russia's victory over Napolean in1812, but it took over 40 years to build and was only consecretated in 1860, the day Alexander III was crowned.
Stalin demolished it in 1933 but a new one was rebuilt in the 1990's. There appears to be some current refurbishing going on which hasn't allowed me the opportunity to peak in yet. Not surprisingly, it's the largest Eastern Orthadox church in the world.
This original Russian space shuttle is now a ride at Gorky Park.
Back to Vdnx Park, Lenin is taking second place to 'Shrek and Fiona'.
Look! The fountains are working.
I was anticipating a difficult weekend for me as my heart was home in Canada. Cousin Don got married and I knew that all my family was together again and having a great time without me. Luckily, I have met some wonderful people here, and the weather and activities keep me laughing.
So congrats Don & Tracy - may your life together be as sunny and fun-filled as my Moscow weekends in May.

4 Comments:

At Wednesday, May 30, 2007 9:38:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another great post! I'll have to study it, as Dad says I'm getting 'almost' as good as you.

Enjoy the hot weather there - you'll need your long-johns in Scotland.

 
At Wednesday, May 30, 2007 2:54:00 PM, Blogger Ilsa said...

Global warming! Haven't you heard?

 
At Wednesday, May 30, 2007 9:52:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lisa,
Is that gold on "them thar" fountains?? I guess your cold showers feel good now in the Moscow heat or is the hot water restored by now? Glad you are enjoying the sights and sounds of the big city and thanks again for sharing them with us.And.... we really missed you at the wedding!
Mom

 
At Thursday, May 31, 2007 4:30:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Don't worry; I think your cousins drank enough to make up for your absence at the wedding.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home