Friday, May 04, 2007

May Day

May 1st in Russia is 'Labour Day'... or 'Day of Hard-Working People' as it was translated to me by my students.

Because it fell on a Tuesday, we had to work Saturday to make up for the lost week days. We also had Monday off because it falls between Sunday and Tuesday. Makes perfect sense... to some. Since I'm not from here, I found it unusual and complicated, especially since we had tickets for the conservatory Saturday evening (I work evenings). I'll post more about that later.
It was nice that the Russians had a long weekend, though. Most of my students said they 'slept' to recover from their continuous hard work.


I'm not sure what Karl Marx would have thought of this holiday. Apparently there's also a statue somewhere of a women with a mop... an unnamed labourer.

In the meantime, on the Monday prior to Labour Day, I walked with my student from her flat, about an hour-long trek. I was nursing an impromptu hangover and we had just finished a private early-morning lesson. She lives in an expensive area and pointed out the designer shops, shown in this photo, and a Ferrari dealership which she looovves.

Red Square was especially bustling. The only other time I had seen it busier was at Christmas. My student was surprised as well so I took a shot of it as we were walking past. I only noticed the Team Canada jerseys after I uploaded the photos later. I decided that it was a sign I must go to a game, along with the harassment I am receiving from my family.

So, if and when Canada wins tonight, while I'm working, they'll play again on Sunday night, when I'm not working. Look for me in the crowd. I'll be the one cheering for Canada.

3 Comments:

At Friday, May 04, 2007 12:48:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Woo hoo! Go Doan!

 
At Friday, May 04, 2007 10:13:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Lisa,
Great post again! Those Team Canada jerseys really stand out- gotta love them!
Are you sure you weren't in the stands this morning (your night, I guess) when Canada beat Belarus. Dad was sure it was you draped in a Canada flag??? Are you aware of the controversy in our Parliament, if you can believe it,over Team Canada's Captain, Shane Doan? Anyway, he got a hat trick this morning, so" bring it on" all you Quebec MP"S!!
Love, Mom

 
At Sunday, May 06, 2007 10:40:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice pictures with the dark cloudy skies...forgot what clouds look like!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home