Sunday, April 08, 2007

Christos Voskrese... Happy Easter!!

My Russian Orthadox friends told me Christos Voskrese literally means 'Christ Has Risen'. The reply is Voiltinu Voskrese... 'He really IS risen'. They celebrated in their church from Saturday evening until 6:00 am, Sunday morning. Then they ate home-made Easter bread called Khulich and started drinking kha-kha. I suspect they still are after all that fasting.

A bunch of us teachers went to a Bulgarian restaurant and celebrated a 40th birthday, along with the fact that we weren't currently working. The food, atmosphere, and company made it a very enjoyable evening, although quite expensive. I'll be fasting for the rest of the month.

Today I bummed around with Mike and Luis in Oktyabrskaya area. Aside from the massive Lenin statue, now competing with Sanyo, we didn't see any other reference to the 1917's October Revolution. We were actually more interested in spying on the militia while they pulled over dark-skinned drivers.
We considered 'sacrificing' Luis in order to obtain photographic proof of his harassment to date - 49 checks. He recounted one incident where he got some of his property and documents taken away from him - he refused to offer a bribe. An old Babushka, who had been trying to marry him off to her grand-daughter, befriended him. She drug him to the police station and made a big scene by repeatedly slamming her purse on the counter and using official words like 'legal' and 'family'. He eventually got back his stuff due to her demands and narrowly escaped the other 'imprisonment'. I suspect he still has Babushka's number on him though.

The Bolsheviks?
The most impressive place in the area was this authentic Mexican restaurant. Saddles for bar stools and 'Wanted' posters everywhere, it really felt like stepping into the wild west. The toilets were the most fun. They had animal sounds... horses, chickens, cows, and lovely Mexican cowboy music alternating out of them. The burritos were okay but the taco salad tasted remarkably like the chicken salad I had at a Russian chain restaurant a few days ago. Glad I didn't try the ceviche. We're still in Russia after all.
We wanted to go for a walk along the river afterward but there was a freak snow storm and everything was blinding white when we came out so went home and slept.
It didn't feel much like Easter, but I remember being in Israel last summer and walking the steps Jesus walked, ironically, with Mexicans.

5 Comments:

At Monday, April 09, 2007 7:41:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just love reading your blog, Lisa, especially the posts about "everyday" Russia. I find it so interesting, but that is most likely due to your writing skills. I was thinking that you should become a travel writer, which would combine your passion and your talent!

Love and Happy Easter from your favorite sister!

 
At Monday, April 09, 2007 10:06:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did not get a chance to see your blog yesterday but happy Easter for the next 50 days!! Like Chandra, I too love that you depict life in Russia in word and pictures for us who long for your adventurous spirit.And..... perhaps you should not do the "spying" thing "cause" aren't bribes pretty costly??? And... Do you have a"Babushka" type in your life??
However, keep up the posts because they are wonderful>
Love Mom

 
At Monday, April 09, 2007 12:52:00 PM, Blogger Ilsa said...

My, what nice compliments you have. Thank goodness 'family' appreciates me. I don't have a Babushka in my life. It seems they're only trying to marry off the Russian 'women'. However, I am invited for home-made borscht at a student's place on friday. Can't wait!

 
At Monday, April 09, 2007 9:47:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another great post! Happy Easter!
I too enjoy reading about your adventures...you are educating us about Russia!
Take care,
carl

 
At Tuesday, April 10, 2007 9:38:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please encourage your Sakatchewanian sister to update her family blog. Yes I know hockey season is over, but surely the rest of life is not! I want to hear about all the mundane stuff!LOL

 

Post a Comment

<< Home