Monday, May 21, 2007

It's Hot

I know that 31 degrees doesn't sound extreme, but for Moscow it's outrageously hot today... and humid. The past week it's seen the high 20's and I've been loving it, although at night it's too hot to sleep. It's also somewhat uncomfortable (and smelly) when an ice-cold shower is the only available means of cleansing... for me and the entire neighborhood.

On the first day of this heat wave, I found some free time before classes to take in a banya (Russian bathhouse). I couldn't wait to feel clean again. At first it was quite crowded and there were all these rules that my friend and I were apparently not adhering to. The other ladies were sure to let us know we must wear a hat or towel on our head, flip-flops, etc. before entering the sauna. I scoffed at the unsightly felt hat but once inside I could barely stand the heat. Thankfully I had rented a sheet. I also appreciated the 5-minute rule but could only take it for three on the first round.

It appeared to be all business for the Russian ladies... severe heat, dunk in ice-cold tub, exfoliate, rinse, mud pack, continuous scrubbing. Most interesting was the bunch of fresh birch twigs with leaves intact. They used these whisks to whip each other. Aaah the price of beauty. Once the crowd dissipated and I felt confident to carry on with the procedure, skipping the whisk bit, I quite enjoyed it. In fact, I'm going again on Friday. It seems to work for them - they're quite beautiful, with glowing skin.


With the warm weather last weekend, it was great spending time outside, sitting on patios or in parks and watching people just hanging out and enjoying the summer weather. This picture is Park Pobedy (Victory) in honour of WWII. It's the most modern-looking place I've seen in Moscow and the only decent park benches. May people were blading, skate boarding, or just walking along eating an ice cream cone.


Furs have been replaced with skimpy clothes and very high heels. You should have seen this girl trying to walk on this surface.

Strange to me is that no matter what the ladies are wearing, they always have on pantyhose.

On Sunday I revisited the Vdnkh exhibition park, which is near one of my schools. Grandiose pavilions representing each republic, used to showcase their products and technologies but now there are only shops (with as many imported toasters as you've ever seen in one place). Sadly, these massive buildings are very run-down and there appears to be a lot of wasted space in this 600 acre park.

I have yet to see the fountains working but I've been told by reliable sources that they're usually quite spectacular. This 'fountain of friendship' shows 16 maidens in the native dress of their soviet republic.

A couple of my students brought me back to VDNX Sunday night for some shashlik and beer.
We took in some rides at the amusement park and had the official Russian drink. Nope, not vodka. Kvass, believe it or not, which tastes like yeast, has so little alcohol that children drink it, too.


I bruised up my knee on the bumper cars. Even on rides, Russians are crazy drivers.

Parks and banyas on hot days... Ilsa recommends.

2 Comments:

At Wednesday, May 23, 2007 7:54:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful job. Through in more pictures of bad walkers though!
Just kidding, we will miss you this weekend
Danny

 
At Wednesday, May 23, 2007 10:51:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi
Just dropping by to say great photos...yet again...i suspect many are reading your post daily...including myself...so just supporting you in your efforts to post regularily...
carry on...I guess Don & Tracy will be getting hitched soon( next weekend!!!...the downside to traversing the world am afraid...missing out on all the special family events.
I will be waiting for Chandra's update on the grand wedding too...
be well
carlos in saudi

 

Post a Comment

<< Home