Wednesday, May 16, 2007

My Moscow Flat



I prepared Mexican food for my party last weekend. Normally I like hosting but I'm not fond of this kitchen. It looks better than it is... and is better than it was before I got here, but it seriously stinks.
Luckily, one of the other teachers helped me out. She was leaving and wanted to get rid of all her food. Plus, she's from Texas so she knows what it means to cook 'Mexican'.


There were about 20 of us in my room, which doubles as the living room. I actually don't mind this room so much. Authentic Soviet style and it usually doesn't smell bad.



I was quite happy that Ilya brought his guitar, although not everyone appreciates acoustic sing-alongs like I do. But who cares, it was my party. He's sitting on my bed.



Some people just never know when to leave....

Actually it's quite common for us to 'crash' since some of live quite far from each other. The metro closes at 1:30 and it's possible to get stranded if we have to change trains. I only had three overnight guests that night, but last time there were six. My sofa can lay flat and there's an extra cot.
Anyone want to come for a visit?



This is my old room. The bed was too short for me so I'm quite happy to have moved to a bigger single bed in the bigger room/living room.

I'm also lucky that I don't have bed bugs. California Mike had to get a new bed and he's hoping they're gone for good... along with his rash.


It's not so bad, apart from the little elevator I sometimes share with guys smoking and dogs peeing. I cover my face and plug my nose on it every day.
Moscow shuts the hot water off each area for two or three weeks every year - different areas have different summer months. The students don't seem to mind because they plan their holidays around it and go to their dacha (country house) for the duration. My time happens to be right now and after 5 days I was feeling pretty sick of cold showers and boiling water on the stove. I'm in a hurry to get to work so I'll post tomorrow about what I did about it. Stay tuned.

4 Comments:

At Thursday, May 17, 2007 9:35:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I admire your determination to tough this out. It does seem a bit sparse in your flat alright.You always have had a good "sniffer" but now would be a good time to lose some of that sense of smell it seems. Thanks for showing us the real Russia and I sure hope the hot water returns soon.
Mom

 
At Friday, May 18, 2007 12:28:00 AM, Blogger Ilsa said...

Tis certainly been a curse rather than a blessing here, mom... although, thankfully, my allergies have stifled the smells somewhat.

 
At Friday, May 18, 2007 10:35:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seems like you manage to have a good time despite the negative aspects of the house keeping...ah but ur still a young'n; full of spit n vinegar!
I can relate to the smelly kitchen though...I have one too and it can really spoil the joy of cooking!
carl

 
At Wednesday, May 23, 2007 3:20:00 AM, Blogger Ilsa said...

Remind me not to visit you in Riyadh.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home