Sunday, April 22, 2007

We Are the Champions!!

Every month, our school puts on a seminar for professional development. Although it's tough to give up a precious Saturday, I like going to get new ideas and it's also an opportunity to meet other teachers. There seems to be a revolving door with this company and it's hard to find ex-pat friends since where I work is a bit isolated.

Yesterday, I participated in a trivia quiz/fundraiser, put on by a couple of the teachers after the seminar. My friends basically forced me to join their team. The idea was to get a good mix of nationalities but to ensure at least one Russian, which we were having trouble finding for our team. That was worrisome and I was also quite nervous that I'd be expected to know important North American references.
I actually hate trivia. I have a great fear of it.. going hand-in-hand with humiliating myself in public. I stayed up late every night the past week surfing the web to find and memorize important dates, like birthdays of former Prime Ministers and when Champlain first arrived. 1603. If you knew these girls who put this quiz on, you'd understand the pressure.
Well it turned out to be quite stimulating, even fun... and brain-damaging. We snagged an authentic Russian, Ilyia, during the seminars and we managed to get enough right answers to win the quiz. Luckily, there weren't many Canada-related questions (although I also found that somewhat insulting). Like, who really cares about rugby and cricket? But somehow even I got lucky with a couple answers. Gotta love those old Saturday morning movies. That conversion from the 'Imperial' system when I was in grade 4 also came in handy for calculating California Mike's answers into the 'metric' system.
The top three teams were neck 'n neck throughout the nine rounds, but Russian Roulette (I picked that name) came out on top. The best part was that we raised over 10,000 rubles for a great Moscow charity which helps children with disabilities get medical care. Good stuff!

3 Comments:

At Sunday, April 22, 2007 9:47:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How interesting that you were having genuine Russian fun without any Vodka... gotta change that for next time.

Pam :)

 
At Monday, April 23, 2007 12:15:00 AM, Blogger Ilsa said...

Don't worry. There was vodka there... and beer.

 
At Monday, April 23, 2007 8:38:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a proud Mom!! Glad it turned out to be fun.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home