Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Victory Day

You gotta love May if you live in Russia. May 9th is another public holiday where Eastern Bloc countries celebrate their victory over the Germans in the great patriotic war. My 10-12 year-old students weren't aware that there were other countries involved in WWII; however, they knew all the dates and many other details and were excited to share them with me.

I was really looking forward to a mid-week day of rest; however, some of my over-enthusiastic friends persuaded me to meet them for the parade at 7:30 AM. Since I haven't enjoyed many mornings outside lately due to my late working hours, I decided to go for a good walk in the centre to meet up with them... one that doesn't entail racing through crowded metro stations. I was also a little intrigued about seeing the war vehicles.

It was an overcast morning but it was really neat to walk on the streets where there was no traffic since it was blocked off for the parade. I loved the silence and the big buildings appeared to be more architectually interesting without the chaos of open shops. There were loads of decorations on the streets and in the squares. The government gave out orange and brown striped ribbons - people wore them or put them on their car antennas. Last week I had seen them and expected 'Victory Day' to be much like our Remberance Day, except with ribbons instead of poppies.

There weren't a lot of people on the streets - my students had told me that they stay home and watch the parade on television because only VIP's are allowed in Red Square
.

I met up with my friends at a popular coffee shop. Coffee House is the 'Starbucks' of Moscow. They're everywhere here. Although not even close to Starbucks quality. It's just as expensive though.

I go to one between classes every Tuesday and Thursday while I'm waiting for my second school to open. Further away from the centre, English speakers are more of a novelty so they know me. I get an English menu and extra coupons... I suspect because I'm a big tipper. Most of the staff aren't very friendly, but one girl likes to practice her 'English' with me.

At 9:00 AM the streets were still relativey empty, aside from policemen and a few stray dogs. We hung out there and eventually started seeing people walking toward Red Square. We finally gave up at 11:30. By this time, Coffee House was quite busy. Emma, who speaks Russian, got into a row with the server over our shot (bill). We usually know to just accept the terrible customer service, but she seemed to be in the need of making a point. By the time she was through with the manager, it was adjusted accordingly. She was still fuming when we took this photo.

When we got outside at noon, we could finally see the parade, which was supposed to start at 9:00 am, coming down the hill and people were waiting patiently to cheer the veterans on.

This was the last photo I took before my camera battery died. There weren't any floats or armoured vehicles. There were mainly old vets with medals weighing them down carrying flags and their children and grandchildren walking with them. There was one marching band and an old truck with a guy in the back shouting over the loud speakers about 'winning' and 'working hard'. A few old people had photos of Stalin on their flags. A variety of military uniforms and flags, including Palestinian flags, completed the parade.
I suspect that Putin's ceremony in Red Square was much more elaborate but I liked that this was realistic - no Mickey Mouse floats, etc.
After enjoying a few more hours of walking around the deserted streets in search of an open museum, I went home to shower and change for dinner and the ballet. It had warmed up in the afternoon and we sat outside on a nice patio. It was such a treat spending so much time outside even if the food sucked.
A student had given me a ticket for the ballet and I met her there. The music and dancers were even better than I had expected. I actually felt 'moved by it La Sylphide. Fabulous!
The Russians have a great appreciation for the arts but not many locals can afford tickets. Most in attendance were foreigners... Brits, Americans, Dutch, etc.
Another unexpected surprise was seeing the crowds on the streets when we came out of the theatre. Thousands of people passed through security to walk on the main roads. Every square had a live concert and enormous monitors showing war footage.
We walked until the fireworks were completed at midnight. She wanted to go for drinks but I begged off as I had lessons the following morning.
The Russians certainly know how to celebrate and it's great that they take the opportunity to remember. Sadly, these veterens have very small pensions and many can't afford basic necessities such as heating.
Lest we forget!

1 Comments:

At Sunday, May 13, 2007 9:48:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really enjoyed the pictures and commentary! thanks for keeping up with the postings...You have certainly created an interesting life for yourself!
As Don and Tracy's wedding date approaches; thinking of all the family who will be lucky enough to get togeather...I am anticipating some great photos through the schraefel blog on that special event too!
carry on...
carl

 

Post a Comment

<< Home