Thursday, June 14, 2007

School Days

When I was home in March, Uncle Jack told me to write about the teaching, which is why I'm really here in the first place. Each night after class, I feel compelled to 'tell all' and the words are in my head when I'm walking home, but by the time I actually get home, usually around 11pm, I'm exhausted. Starting a new career, at a not-so-new age, in a new-to-me country has been quite a challenge.
I've made great strides at being effective from when I first started. I gained some confidence and most students appear to have made some progress, which is good since I really take it to heart when they don't 'get it' or even worse 'digress'.
It's been quite a challenge. I work long hours, often with split shifts. I spend way too much time on the metro - an hour to get to one of the schools where I work every night. Both satellite schools where I teach regular classes have very limited resources and I rarely see other teachers during the week.
On the flip side, it's incredibly rewarding. I suspect it's because most of my students are so motivated. When I hear their stories of having to commute two hours to work, some from low-paying jobs, and then attending costly English lessons three evenings a week, I get inspired to do a good job for them. They're so appreciative and some of them actually thank me for the lessons. (and believe me, all of my lessons were not good - I should be thanking them for letting me use them as guinea pigs). I certainly don't remember appreciating the efforts that any of my teachers put into planning lessons.
I only had one regular children's class, which has closed for the summer. From what I hear from the other teachers, I really scored with this group. Although once they hid behind the door of the classroom and jumped out, making me scream. They thought it was hilarious and I nearly had a heart-attack. They like that word... heart-attack. They brought it up at every opportunity afterward. The thing about teaching kids is they're so quick to learn. They don't even seem like they're trying, yet they remember. Like sponges. It's so hard to keep up with them.
On one of the first sunny days this year, they wanted to play a game outside. I racked my brain only to come up with 'Simon says'. They whipped through the game quite quickly so they asked if they could play a different game. I expected chaos but they carried on playing three more games that included the vocabulary they had just learned, as well as vocabulary from past lessons. Not only did they do it independently, they taught me some new games. They just amaze me. I don't even have to try. What's even better is that they think I'm cool. Apparently the Russian teachers are much more strict. They must appreciate having less authority.

Despite my love of children, I actually prefer teaching adults. I've learned so much about their culture and their perspectives about current and past events. The classes are quite small, my biggest being eight so it's easy to give them individual attention. If they get to be too small, the school asks them for more money to keep the class running in order to pay the teacher. Gulp! Not that I see much of it on my meagre wages. I guess that's the typical 'Russian' way.
I've taught levels from Absolute Beginner to Advanced and enjoy aspects of both. My first beginner class is almost finished their Elementary level and it's so fun to finally be able to have regular, well almost regular conversations with them.
They treat me good, too. I've had customized tours of the city, help with anything I need, including free (although illegal) internet, and copious amounts of well wishes on my birthday - text messages, phone calls, and gifts. However will I survive without all this attention later on? So despite all the crap I had to deal with here, it's resulted in not only some new skills, but a great experience and great new friends.
Teaching English in Moscow? Ilsa recommends.

4 Comments:

At Thursday, June 14, 2007 8:57:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ilsa, of course the children love you,they all do! You have a very special way with kids. My kids still talk of the cookie making. Take Care, Love Gerri

 
At Thursday, June 14, 2007 8:52:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I'm proud of you, sis.

No foolin'.

 
At Thursday, June 14, 2007 9:14:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Russians are lucky to have you!

The pictures are amazing too!

cheers, carl

 
At Friday, June 15, 2007 12:33:00 AM, Blogger Ilsa said...

ah schuks you guys!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home