Thursday, November 09, 2006

Miserable in Moscow

I arrived in Moscow Thursday night and I'm not going to sugar-coat it. So far it sucks!

This place is huge! It took almost two hours to get from the outskirts where the airport is to downtown where the school admin offices are located. Apparently there's a great metro system but there are still many vehicles on the road. The pollution burns the inside of my nostrils. The buildings are the size of city blocks - large 20 story apt buildings... most run down and unsightly. Its strange to see all the luxury cars on the street, amidst the old beaters - many stalled at intersections. Almost all have dark tinted glass.

There was blowing wet snow. Everyone appeared grumpy. The driver from the school made it clear he doesn't speak English and to not bother with further attempts at Russian, although he did manage to say 'Supermarket?' right before he stopped at one. It certainly wasn't Safeway - kind of pathetic, actually, with really bad produce. No wonder everyone is grumpy. I had to buy groceries since I am staying in the school hostel for a few days. The hostel is truly horrible. I won't go into detail because I just ate a burger and don't want to lose it. I cried myself to sleep the first night. Oh, and, Damn, its cold!

OK no more negative stuff... the office/hostel is only a couple of blocks from Red Square so I got some sight seeing in already. Another teacher (my savior) arrived at the hostel last night. He had to leave the last place he was boarding because the family was trying to marry him off to their daughter and the mother kept mending his pants and leaving him notes. I was never so happy to meet a stranger. He, another teacher and I hung out for the evening. We got stopped by the police, too. Apparently that's common. They checked our passports but didn't ask for bribes... phew, lucky this time.

I had borscht and perogies for dinner. Yummy!

P.S. GO RIDERS GO!!

11 Comments:

At Monday, November 13, 2006 8:15:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seems like you are experiencing some culture shock? Reality is never as it seems in one's head. remember it's not the situation..., it's your reaction to the situation. Give it some time and certain you will adapt; or at least for the duration of your contract? As they say when life hands you lemons, make lemonade...I know that is a lame cliche' but is all I can come up with for now LOL hang in there.

 
At Monday, November 13, 2006 8:59:00 AM, Blogger Rob Huck said...

Sounds like Regina.

 
At Monday, November 13, 2006 9:19:00 AM, Blogger Ilsa said...

yes, I am slightly shocked. Not so much by the culture, but by the bed bugs and the smell in my hostel that won't go away, despite 4 litres of cleaning liquids.

PS To anyone from Regina, I apologize on behalf of my brother for his comment. (although I know there are areas in Regina as well as Calgary pretty similar... I just never had to stay there)

 
At Monday, November 13, 2006 10:08:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Lisa !!

It's the Hodders here !! We promise to keep tab on your adventures this time ( unlike your last trip - sorry about that....). Hang in there - I think you are going to have an exciting time.
Good luck !
R,B,B & L

 
At Monday, November 13, 2006 12:47:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lisa, My mother's heart says just come home but I know that you can tough it out as you have done in the past. Surely it will improve in Elektrostal?The Riders failed to show up it seemed like in B.C. and now I can put your Jersey to rest for another year and my co-workers can watch me eat crow!! We hope to talk to you again soon.
Mom

 
At Tuesday, November 14, 2006 1:04:00 AM, Blogger Ilsa said...

So sad about our Riders... Go Flames Go!

On my way to Elektrostal right in a few minutes. I'll blog next time I get internet (I think they still use cup and string there)

L xo

 
At Tuesday, November 14, 2006 9:57:00 AM, Blogger Rob Huck said...

Flames are riding a four-game win streak, including wins over Vancouver, Dallas, and the West-leading Anaheim Ducks.

Iginla looks awesome and Kipper is finally playing to form.

The Riders, well, they just suck.

Keep your chin up, kid.

 
At Tuesday, November 14, 2006 1:38:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey,

Yesterday i ran into your sister at my work and i couldn't beleive it .. I was just thinking of you the other day and how I may have been young when you were dating my uncle rick but I loved every moment that we got to hang out. And as you wonder who i am its me chrissy, your sister gave me your blog address and i gave her my email address to pass on to you. As i read on your past adventures and existing ones and ones to come are so exciting and brave of you. I am so proud of you for doing what you are doing and can't wait to here more.
Take care of you, thinking of you often and always.
Chrissy .Z.

 
At Wednesday, November 15, 2006 7:29:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Regina? I think Rob's apartment was a bit like that pre-Amber.

Isn't it wild that I ran into Chrissy? What a small world.

Scott McGrath says "hey", too.

Later.
Chandra

 
At Friday, November 17, 2006 11:33:00 AM, Blogger Rob Huck said...

Where the hell are you now, sis?

 
At Monday, November 20, 2006 1:30:00 AM, Blogger Ilsa said...

thanks for all the great comments - Chrissy. I can't believe it's you. You must have been only 8 years old last time I saw you. Say "Hi" to your uncle Rick and Josie and Lawrence, too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home