Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Do Re Mi


The Hills area alive... well lively at least. The train rides through Austria show amazing views of storybook villages and green rolling hills with mountain backdrops... these are a few of my favourite things... I could almost see the Trapp children running after Maria.

Salzburg, famous for being the home town of Mozart is lovely, indeed. And, despite the heckling from the uncultured men in my family every Christmas, one of my favorite movies was filmed here. Guess what it is... thats right... The Sound of Music. Captain von Trapp and his family lived in this area, too.


The town is a little commercial (cheezy) for my taste, however, the voice of Julie Andrews never ceased to be in my head the whole time I was there.

This is Mirabelle Gardens... Doe a deer, a female deer... where they filmed Do Re Mi scene.

I managed to find the last hotel room in the town. It was in a charming, creaky inn and tucked away in a tiny attic where I had to duck my head, not only in my room but going up the stairs. The people were fabulous, as I discovered of most Austrians. Very friendly, they will offer something extra whenever you make a purchase, like candies.


This is St. Peters Abbey, the area and cemetary behind has been in use since 215 AD. Only monks and priests are buried there.


The residence old city square is the heart of the old city. In the film, Maria crossed the square singing I have confidence! while on her way to the Trapp family home for the first time.

Nicer weather might have proved better photos but it really is gorgeous.
If you are part of an old, romantic couple, Ilsa definitely recommeds as a must see. If you are like one my wise cracking brothers, well... a little Julie Andrews in your head cant harm you.


PS HAPPY BIRTHDAY, KELSEY DAWN!!


2 Comments:

At Thursday, August 24, 2006 8:36:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now, this sounds and looks like my kind of Europe! Have you tried any schnitzle?
Is it very expensive to travel in Austria?
Where to next??
Mom

 
At Friday, August 25, 2006 1:49:00 AM, Blogger Ilsa said...

yes mom, I definitely thought of you a lot in this town... but you might need a rich German husband to support you since there are lots of tempting shops. Austria is not too expensive except apart from Salzburg. I am in Slovenia now and headed to Croatia coast. L xo

 

Post a Comment

<< Home