Monday, September 04, 2006

Labour Day Weekend in Canada

Certain circumstances required my presence in Canada for a short time so I'm back. After many, many hours - too many hours - of flying and airports, being stranded in Vancouver, and getting ripped off in London by my taxi driver (anyone need Cambodian coins?) I was happy to step foot on familiar soil. I arrived just in time for the long weekend.

Weather was fantastic and everything and everyone looked just great to me. I see the beauty in everything right now (still in tourist mode) but I'm sure that will pass the longer I stay... in fact the Calgary traffic almost made me swear today.

The Stamps won the Labour Day Classic against the hated Edmonton Eskimos. 35,000 fans filled the seats to capacity but one guy got loose and stripped running across the field in the 1st quarter (I guess he didn't know there is a $5000 fine for that now).





Mom and Dad came up from Lethbridge for the day and we all hung out in my brother's neighborhood of Inglewood. Inglewood is Calgary's oldest community and has many charming 20th Century homes, like the one my brother and his wife live in near the Bow River (80 yrs is 'old' in Canada). This community is vibrant with many decorator's boutiques and antique stores.


Dad and his son (okay, he's my brother) at Olivier's Candy store.



Inglewood has the largest used book store in Calgary. There's something for everyone where you can find something for everyone. I got a free book because I'm petty.





Diana and I at the most expensive martini bar ever. I'm not sure what happened while I was away but the prices here are worse than Europe.


Mom and I strolled along the Bow with Misha. My mom is great with animals.




The Glenmore Reservoir (I pretend its the pacific ocean) is great for hiking, biking, canoing, and picnics. I used to walk there a lot before I was homeless. Although the sun is shining, the smoke from the BC fires is keeping things hazy.


My friend, Pam, and I went for a walk near my old stomping grounds - Confederation Park. Its good to be home (for now).

2 Comments:

At Friday, September 15, 2006 6:39:00 AM, Blogger Casa Reilkoff Schraefel said...

Ilsa, where are you now? I love your blog and want to create one, but am having great difficulty. Am such a techni-klutz.
I'm in our Mexican casa cleaning up after Hurricane John and preparing for the next one 'Lane' bearing down on LosCabos by the weekend!
I love all your photos. Will keep trying but my back is giving out from all the cleaning up - doing laundry for friends who lost everything when all their windows blew out.
Have fun wherever you are,
love, ChriSchraefel

 
At Friday, September 15, 2006 11:50:00 AM, Blogger Ilsa said...

well that sounds pretty exciting, Chris. You definitely need to be blogging about surviving a hurricane. I'm like you re technology - my brother,Rob, set this up for me so you could ask him for help or peruse blogspot I guess.
I'm back in Calgary and heading to Kerrobert for a couple of days but should have a teaching contract soon and will let everyone know where I'm headed to next.
Hasta Luego!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home