Thursday, November 23, 2006

Lost My Way to School

In the past, getting lost has never bothered me all that much. Although, it really bothered my sister a couple of times (sorry, Sis). I've always seemed to find a lesson in it somehow, or at least a new adventure. In today's 'Lost' episode (Moscow style), I simply got lucky.

The schools that I teach at are in various locations so its been a great enough challenge just learning how to use the metro and trying to figure out the cryllic names. Only the Lord (who I was praying to) knows how I found my way back to the metro station in the school's area. From there, it would have been ideal to telephone the school or look on a map. If only it were that easy. As my father has told me 'You always do things the hard way... ha ha ha."

On my first visit, I was accompanied by a Russian lady from the school for the 20 minute walk. At that time, I certainly found myself confused, but I did manage to find my way back from the school. This time, even though I knew I had never seen the address or the name of this school and couldn't reach anyone to ask before I left, I took a chance that I'd be able to locate it myself. I left myself lots of time in case I got lost. Unfortunatley, it wasn't enough time.

I had my map. I thought I'd try to call the Russian-speaking school administrator (who is the only person at this tiny little school). Too bad I don't know how to use the phones. If I had a Russian credit card, I might have handled it. Why don't I have a mobile phone like everyone else here? Oh yeah, no one will sell me one. I don't have the right kind of visa yet (you actually have to hand over your passport to buy a cell phone/SIM card here).

So there I was. Nothing looked familiar. I contemplated asking a policeman but THAT seemed risky. By the way, I wasn't just standing around lost. I was trying every possible metro exit and street, retracing my steps to the metro (I wasn't going to lose THAT place again). It only took 4 scenarios to find my way to the school and the students were only waiting 1/2 hour for me.

Luckily, this is a very kind class. They laughed at my gestures and drawings on the white board as I tried to explain 'lost' to them. It just happened to be an Absolute Beginner adult class who only had one other English lesson ever (taught by me). At the end of the class, one of the students suggested I drink vodka.

I don't know my lesson in getting lost on this occasion and I'm still not sure that I can find my way from that school again but I'm off now to find another school for another lesson for another class. Too bad I lost my gloves today.

7 Comments:

At Thursday, November 23, 2006 10:26:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Drinking vodka maybe fun but I think that you will be lost again and will forget the lesson you were to learn. love someone who knows

 
At Thursday, November 23, 2006 2:18:00 PM, Blogger Scratchings in the Dirt said...

Only half and hour late? That's just "Lisa time", isn't it? And vodka does make a nice drink. I think that's what I had when we finally made it to the farm after "adventuring" around Major Lake and the pasture country in the dark.

Chandra

 
At Friday, November 24, 2006 1:46:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your story made me smile only cuz I can sooo relate!
In Rural Botswana, Africa walking a kilometer in the pitch blackness of night (no electricity or lights to guide me) from the local school where I supervised evening study to the rural village maze where I lived; was no easy task...I kept straying off the dirt path and only by feeling the brush hitting my legs did I realize I was wandering into the wilderness to God only knows where...it was only by blind luck that I ever managed to get back to my little shack in the village maze every night. My shack had no indoor plumbing or electricity! So I do understand your hardships, but trust me it will get better after a few more months of wandering about like a chicken with it's head chopped off LOL I got lost quite a bit in Rural Botswana, Africa!LOL
Lots of big snakes, spiders and scorpians out there creepin me out; lucky for me I never got bit, but heard lots of horror stories by my fellow colleagues I worked with about unfortunate encounters with snakes etc!!
Hang in there your stories are great!
carl

 
At Friday, November 24, 2006 10:50:00 AM, Blogger Ilsa said...

Geez, Carl. Your story is 'waaaay' better than my story. Although one of the other teachers here was attacked by dogs so there's hope for me yet.

 
At Friday, November 24, 2006 2:23:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Saluuuuuuuttttt Lisa!!!
Wouuaaaa You're in Russia now!
You're really rolling and rocking the world!! I'm glad for you.
I'll send you an email soon about me with more details,
Bisous
Vincent

 
At Wednesday, November 29, 2006 12:39:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

enough about getting lost, where is your story on the Russian Ladies

 
At Thursday, November 30, 2006 11:14:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I suppose everywhere the ladies are "Russian", because they are lost?
Why so sexist...what about the men and the dogs too?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home