Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Vienna, Austria

Sophisticated and stylish is how I describe Vienna (hey, just like me). Seeing the architecture in Prague, I may have been hard to impress, but the buildings here are lovely with cleaner lines and more polished.

I spent part the first day at Schonbrun palace where the royal families used to spend their summer vacations, starting in 1569 (although many upgrades occurred afterward). A great place for kids, there is a zoo and a labyrinth and mazes to get lost in. I hid from the rain in the carriage museum. We weren't supposed to take photos, but I discretely snapped a shot. There were about 50 of them - some tiny ones for little kids and their ponies. It was cool to see them up close, some even had worn rubber tires. I could picture Empress Elisabeth 'Sissi' going for a spin.


This one was used for Hasburg court.

St. Stephans Cathedral (turns out I'm not sick of churches yet). Stephansdom is the centre of the old town and city. There are many upscale shops and high-quality buskers, like fancy mimes.

I met my brother's friend who moved from Calgary a few months ago for a couple of locally brewed beer. Tasty!

Thanks for the beers and travel advice, Sandor.

1 Comments:

At Wednesday, August 23, 2006 5:43:00 PM, Blogger Rob Huck said...

Sandoooooor!!!

I'm glad you hooked up with my good friend. I hope you take advantage of his recommendation for a respite from your travels, and that you sent him my best.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home