Monday, August 21, 2006

Czech Beer and Pork Knee

Here's the view outside my hotel room in Prague. I'm sure it will be beautiful once complete but was a rather bad first impression and ironic that I was in the the city known for the most beautiful architecture.

Once I got out and about, however, there were lovely buildings at every corner.


This group was fabulous. They were on the St. Charles, 16th Century Bridge, and they were always playing.


I didn't like the food in Poland. Strange-tasting borsht in a cup (did you ever drink blood?) and soggy perogies filled with unusual meat substances, topped with huge chunks of pork fat (thank goodness they had great beer).

The Czech food looked pretty similar and the first menu I looked at featured pork knee and liver dumplings. Needless to say it was pizza or McDonalds from then on. Again, the beer was fantastic, and cheap. In fact, if you ask a waiter for wine he'll recommend beer. Of course, this IS the home of Pilsner.

The one tasty treat I did discover was Trdelnik. This sticky, almond flavored, pastry could be smelled two blocks away. I waited in a long line (which was there all day and into the night) to sample. Anything that smelled that great, must taste pretty good, too. It didn't disappoint. Fresh off the grill, it comes out like a thin cake tube and then they douse it in sugar. Mmmmmm.

Ilsa recommends... but don't come if you're on a diet.

1 Comments:

At Tuesday, August 22, 2006 10:22:00 AM, Blogger Rob Huck said...

Sounds like my kind of place!

Hope you had a chance to try some Absinthe in my absence.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home