Sunday, October 07, 2007

Happy Thanksgiving Canada!

There's no equivalent to Thanksgiving in Russia that I'm aware of, but Moscovites had been enjoying a beautiful Indian Summer up until last week when it started raining like mad.
The Russian name for this fabulous weather is 'babeih leto' which kind of means 'women's summer', but the woman is a pre-teen'. Outside of Moscow, they call it 'Golden Summer'.

My friend, Elmira, took me to a new park where a palace has been constructed in honor of Catherine the Great. Apparently she had commissioned one on these grounds back in her day, but was unhappy with the construction and ordered a halt to it. A couple more attempts had been made to complete it with no success. Last month, they finally finished these unique pieces of architecture and it's now the most beautiful place in Moscow (not so much by the architecture as the surroundings). The rest of Moscow decided to check it out the same weekend so we were stuck in traffic for two full hours enroute.

It certainly was nice to get out and enjoy the nature though. At the moment Park Tsaritzino is clean and green and lacks the garbage we see everywhere else in this city.
I took a peek inside the castle and saw a chandelier the size of Saskatoon... typical Russian style... over the top!!

Last weekend I found my new favourite place to shelter myself from the rain. It's a very expensive mall with an average-priced food court and no people. Seriously, no one knows about it yet. My friend Faith and I checked it out last Saturday. There were rows of ready-to-serve places with friendly clerks and no customers. Only us. We tried out the Uzbekistan/Mexican grill. Quite tasty, although could do with more spice. The shops are nice enough to look at - one could buy a sporty toque for $40 or a nice pair of shoes for $750. I bought a kiwi in the expensive grocery store for $5. Yummy.

I helped Faith move into her new old flat. I wonder if a turkey would fit into this this 'cooker'.

Hope you're all having a wonderful Thanksgiving. Also Happy Birthday to Mom, Clem, Auntie Hilda, and Happy Anniversary Chandra & Clem... hope I'm not missing anyone.

2 Comments:

At Monday, October 08, 2007 10:25:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving! We had a very untraditional Thanksgiving, too. Stephen went to Battleford to watch his team win a game, and Clem and I went out for Chinese food at Jimmy's for our anniversary!

Catherine the Great was German, and was the one who brought all our ancestors to Russia. She knew they were hard workers and good farmers, and Russia wanted the land north of the Black Sea settled, so she made it desirable for the Germans to immigrate. Just a little history lesson for ya.

Bye now!

 
At Tuesday, October 09, 2007 7:36:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Thanks Giving Lisa! I think your sister missed her calling; she should have been a teacher!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home