Wednesday, December 27, 2006

My Moscow Christmas

Christmas in Moscow was suprisingly OK. I'll admit to a few tears, mostly out of exhaustion, Christmas Eve, but for the most part, it was kind of nice to spend it with my new friends from around the world and to share the excitement and traditions with the Russian students.

I went to the Mel Gibson 'Apocalypto' movie with friends Christmas Eve Day, unfortunatley the only English one playing and with subtitles since its in Myan. What a downer... blood, gore, rape, murder, captivities, and the typical hollywood predictabilities. I'd have paid $100 to watch 'A Christmas Story' instead.

Foreigners are treated a little differently than the locals here. In obvious ways, we're charged more at pubs and restaurants; we aren't allowed to use the coat check if its almost full (they have to save room for their own); and, the cinema hall at was around the building sowe had to walk outside and go in through a backdoor. Popcorn wasn't an option and neither was heat. We get our revenge by making fun of their tacky displays and poor fashion sense. Check out the bull and sheep in this high-priced boutique window.


I was excited to see the Christmas/New Year trees after a fresh snow fall. They're the only real ones I've seen here. Notice California Mike posing in front, sporting a fashionable Canada flag. He's been instructed to behave as Canadian as possible while wearing... act friendly, speak softly, drop the occasional 'eh', and to remember he's politically useless.

Christmas Night was spent with only two students that showed up for the lesson, but we shared we part of it with other students and teachers in my school - a little karaoke, games, chocolate, and malt wine.

On Christmas Day I did a lot of running around from post office to post office, picking up two parcels. My buddy Paul is posing with mom's package in front of some big church. I made him come because I was told the package was three kilos and thought I'd need a hand carrying it. It wasn't but what a nice treat to receive them on that day. Thanks for the fudge, mom!

While walking, we sang 'Silent Night' in German, a midnight mass tradition back home in Canada. Paul speaks German but he doesn't know the words. I thought I knew the words but its clear to him I don't.

Today I had a break from teaching. The school where I have most of my lessons is on a break until January 10th. I'll have to work some next week but will be nice to have more time to catch up on my sleep and do some sightseeing. Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night!

3 Comments:

At Sunday, December 31, 2006 2:31:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so happy that the parcel, however meagre, was not stolen and that it arrived just in time. Now I wish we would have sent more. Thanks for the phone call-you were missed a lot everywhere but all send their best wishes for a great new year full of adventure. And of that, I have no doubt!
So good to see your blog and the pictures again. Do you need more Canadian flags or symbols? It looks good on Mike.
Happy New Year. I'm enjoying the beautiful music of Chris Issac today. Hope you are again able to access some english CD's.
Love Mom

 
At Sunday, December 31, 2006 8:07:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year Lisa. Love reading about your adventures. All the best to you.
Love Chrissy and Kay

 
At Monday, February 05, 2007 9:39:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i finally found your blog address, you can expect to hear from me more. i think of you all the time. glad you sound well AND YOU LOOK LIKE A MODEL, A RUSSIAN PRINCESS LIKE SHERRY WOULD SAY!
seriously, that cleavage with the pic with the 2 other girls at xmas! :)amv

 

Post a Comment

<< Home