Friday, July 28, 2006

Bethlehem, Judea Desert - Jericho and the Dead Sea

Oh Little Town of Bethlehem - 1000 pop at Jesus' birth, now 35,000 but is like a ghost town due to war keeping tourists away. To our advantage we had the place to ourselves - the Casa Nova is run by Franciscans and is next door to Nativity grotto where Jesus was born. This is view from outside my window - sunrise and sunset. 'Tranquil' describes it best.






Coco, my new best friend, on her first donkey ride (despite it being her 5th Holy Land tour). For some reason Coco has taken to me and is usually at my side. She's a great shopper, like all the Mexicans here. I found a great strategy for bargaining - I wait until they my amigas are done and go in with my purchase once vendors have been beaten down. I actually got a free shampoo without buying anything (thanks Coco). Of course, this strategy was formed after being ripped off a few times.

The Dead Sea is fabulous. It's a whole new way to swim - buoyant so you have to ensure your head doesn't go under and your legs up. We could only stay in about 15 min between showering - we had spa-like mud treatments and came out baby soft (except I had breakouts). It was an amazing experience. Surroundings so peaceful.

This middle-aged camel needs a toothbrush, don't you think?







We saw many of these Palestine Camps (Jericho) on our drive through the Judea Desert. The camel guide told me there are almost 1000 people in his camp. He didn't see his baby girl for years during the last upset - imprisoned in his own city. There still isn't a resolve for who owns what but he also said they have a very strong community and knows 2000 people who would do anything for his family. Our bus driver, also Palestinian, said they don't care who owns what land - they just want peace.

I loved driving through the desert - I felt a sense of calm as soon as I saw it. Its easy to understand why Jesus went there.

Over 2000 years ago people were living in this settlement, writing scripts and taking ritual baths and living their lives. The 7 Dead Sea scrolls were the oldest evidence for text of the Hebrew bible - dated back to 3rd Century BCE - 1st Century. We saw copies of the scripts and other artifacts in Israel Museum in Jerusalem but these are from the archeological site. The caves mark where most were found.

3 Comments:

At Saturday, July 29, 2006 7:12:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting and entertaining, as always. Love Luly's yellow outfit - say hello to her for me. Stay safe.

 
At Saturday, August 19, 2006 5:32:00 PM, Blogger bigmutt said...

OOPS! I think I left my comment on the wrong page; Archives page??
Oh well, I'm still getting used to this blogging thing.
anyway, so as not to be repetitive (I've been so accused) jump over & read my comments in your July chapter.

Be safe & be well.

Rick & Ana, your fellow ferry travelers on the Adriatic, almost a month ago.
-from Mexico City

 
At Thursday, August 24, 2006 11:52:00 AM, Blogger Ilsa said...

Hey Rick and Ana. I just took a look at the comments now. Thanks for checking in. I have your card stuck somewhere deep in my backpack. Glad you made it home safe. What Islands did you get to?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home