Sunday, August 06, 2006

Mosques, Sultans, Turkish Baths and Toilets


Istanbul is a vibrant and exciting city, rich in history - most of which I am still unfamiliar since being me I never planned anything and have yet to see many highlights. Spanning two continents, Asia and Europe, and surrounded by the Sea of Marmara and the Straits of Bosphorus heading to the Black Sea, it seems to go on forever - 70 km east to west I believe. Grand mosques span the landscape and at night are all lit up - beautiful. I don't know if the city goes to sleep as it has surpassed me everynight so far.


At every turn you see someone selling something, shoes or underwear just laid out on the street. Even until late at night people are walking down the busy streets, even with little babies. I always feel sorry for them when its hot during the day though. They seem so uncomfortable.
Photo above is the famous Blue Mosque and view of area I am staying in from from Galta Tower, built by the Genoese as a watch over the city walls. Its hardly noticeable now in this huge city.

I did check out a couple of palaces - one being the Dolmabahce Palace, built around 1850 by 31st Sultan Abdulmecid where I saw the Harem (which actually isnt as naughty as it sounds - the word means private and is where the Sultan and his wives and children hung out). This bed is where all the action took place. Six Ottoman sultans lived in this palace and it was later occupied by Mustafa Ataturk, first president of the Turkish Republic.

Check out the toilet - even sultans used a hole in the ground... something I am not quite used to yet. The marble bath area shown here looks just like the place where I had a Turkish bath and massage today. 'Twas a very strange experience. After a steam, one of the ugly Turkish women (at least she wasn't the fat one with boobs flopping everywhere) gave me a body scrub. She'd slap the area she was finished to let me know to change positions. I liked it when she threw cool water on me to rinse.





The Topkapi Palace is composed of several buildings and holds some very interesting artifacts, including St John the Baptist's arm and skull and amazing precious jewels - enormous rubies, emeralds
and diamonds - some decorating everything you can imagine from thrones and swords to sprinklers. Unfortunately they don't let you take photos of the good stuff but is my top recommended place to see here.


In the sunset view from a boat tour I took you can see people still fishing on the bridge, with clubs, restaurants, and markets happening below. Night scenes don't turn out on my camera but the lighted city was spectacular. We even went by a palace with a wedding and saw fireworks. I don't think one could ever get bored in Istanbul.

I narrowly escaped the welding sparks from this guy as he was aimed the other direction a moment prior to this shot. No gloves or anything.

2 Comments:

At Sunday, August 06, 2006 11:28:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lisa, I have been away for awhile but read with interest about your escapades. In particular the carpet story sounds very sorted and confusing but oh so interesting. I see in one posting that you may be home end of August. Is this true and when and why? Not that I don't miss you terribly...just curious...Love you.
Diana

 
At Saturday, August 12, 2006 12:49:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lisa,
It all looks so enchanting. I'm glad you are chronicling your travels, because I'm just too lazy to go and do the trip myself...My kind of tourism...vicarious.
Love,
Gib

 

Post a Comment

<< Home