Friday, July 28, 2006

Last days in Israel

Here's a better photo of Jesus' tomb. I had a few moments to myself early in the morning, missing daily mass with the Mexicans. Five different religions share the Church of the Holy Sepulachre and there is a different ceremony every half hour...Church of the East, Eastern Orthodox Church, Eastern Rite Catholic Churches, Oriental Orthodoxy, Syriac Christianity Confusing, don't you think?

The entrance to this triangular-shaped Holocaust Museum, as you can see, is contemporary and such a contrast to the ancient sites we've seen so far. It's very well done and powerful, moving me to tears many times. Unfortunately I didn't get through it all. Finally everything is in English but the Mexicans had no Spanish to read. Our guide, whose grandparents and parents escaped from a concentration camp, would not go in as he finds it too upsetting. I think it is important everyone try and see one of these museums at some point in their life.


After Europe and here I thought I was 'churched out'. Seriously, how 'wowed' can one get over and over again. But St. Peter's in Jurusalem is beautiful. Relatively new, mosaics
and stained glass cover all the walls. In the basement is the cave where Jesus was imprisoned overnight as he awaited trial and where Peter denied him three times.

Tel Aviv has beautiful beaches and if it weren't for the situation here, I would be spending some time in this westernized city. This is a view from Jaffa (old city) which is now part of Tel Aviv. There is an amazing history here, as a main port for centuries, but has been ruined by war many times. They are attempting to revive it and have done a good job with the square, art galleries, etc.

My Mexican friends left this morning for Medjugorje. I miss them already - they are always fun and lively and have truy deep faith. I love their songs and their spirit. Hasta luego Amigas!

I met a family from Edmonton going to Jordan and planned to go with them but visa requirements made it difficult so some of you (Colin and Mom) will be happy to know I leave tonight for Istanbul. But the middle east is so intriguing - I haven't even told you half of what I've seen and it hasn't yet sunk in. I will be back one day. To hear the Muslim prayer call five times each day and and see all the other cultures trying to get along - its mystical. Ilsa recommends.



4 Comments:

At Sunday, July 30, 2006 9:56:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Cuz. Vincent is right, reading your blog is like reading a Novel...you captivate me with your story telling! I've given Melody your blog address, so watch for a note from her! Cordin finally got his own flip-flops, so I am again wearing your blue flower ones & think of you every day. NOOOOO white powder for me-thanks. Baby #5 would ruin me!! Love ya, take good care. Carmen xo

 
At Monday, July 31, 2006 11:36:00 AM, Blogger Ilsa said...

maybe you and Kel drank some of that by mistake - would explain a lot.

 
At Wednesday, August 02, 2006 6:45:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Lisa!

Your stories are facinating - you are living out a dream of my own to travel to such historic places!

Keep enjoying and keep writing - (Jaycee broke her leg, so reading your stories will give her a short break from MSN!!)

Mostly - take care Lisa...

Bobbi

 
At Saturday, August 05, 2006 4:31:00 AM, Blogger Ilsa said...

Oh dear - sorry to hear about broken leg Jaycee. I know ıt really sucks to be laıd up all summer - you must be demandıng of all around you and take advantage of theır sympathy!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home