Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Strange Sights and the Likes

It was so cool to come across this block of snowmen last week. My friend and I were walking to the metro, on a street we know well in the centre, when we turned the corner and were greeted by these charming snowmen. We were so surprised to see them here, in this oh, so serious city.

Not so charming was being peed on. Seriously, a few weeks ago I was just walking along near my flat, chuckling to myself about a crude Santa poster that one would never see in Canada (he was packing 'heat'), when I felt a sprinkle on my legs. On the crowded street I followed the stream to see where it was coming from. My point of interest landed on this old drunk guy sitting on the dirty side-walk, leaned up against a liquor store, and letting it all hang out while splattering dozens of others. Wish I could erase that memory.




Although I've been here three months now, I am still disgusted and awe-struck almost daily. I'm not yet too sick of the daily train rides because there are so many unusual things to see... like this metro dog, appreciating a warm nap.
One Russian restaurant, with a pretty good salad bar, is a taxidermist's dream. There are various mounted animals and skins everywhere - even a fur-lined bar. You can't help but bump into them. It certainly makes you think about what you're eating.
Coca-doodle doo!
I found out from a student today, who proudly showed me a photo of her puppy named 'Lisa', that 'lisa' also means 'fox', as she pointed to another student's fur coat. That's when I taught them the word 'dead.'



I still have some trouble getting past the fur thing. It hasn't even been that cold here but people where their furs... even when its raining. They look like wet dogs. Yuk! Also fashionable now (the past couple of years here) are mukluks - if you grew up in the 80's you are sure to remember them. I recall liking my fake-fur boots as they were soft and, oh, so comfortable. Here they are the real thing completely fur-covered inside and out.... like little puppies running around their legs... or 'lisas'.


Some of the famous Moscow museums, along with the Bolshoi (ballet) Theatre, are closed for renovations this year. Unfortunately, so is the Russian Space Museum which is supposed to be great. This rocket sits on top of it. I discovered it by chance one day when I was out for a walk on a rare, cloudless morning.

Across the street was a very large Charles de Gaulle statue. I had to 'google' him to try and figure out what the big deal about him would be to place him in front of the 'Cosmo' Hotel. I haven't gotten to the bottom of it yet, but some of my students have different theories in which phrases include 'corrupt politicians' and 'France didn't want it'. So strange. Like Moscow.

I like seeing little ladies 'texting' on their mobile phones. Seems out-of-place to me.

I'm off to visit Murmansk, north of 60, for five days. If I don't freeze to death, I'll write more next week. Happy Valentine's Day!

3 Comments:

At Wednesday, February 14, 2007 10:08:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! Fascinating photos! You do have some interesting experiences; the sublime to the very base! It is amazing when I compare life here to what you are experiencing seems like we are on completely different planets; such is the diversity of life and people in this world. It is truly amazing when one thinks about it. What is normal in one place can be totally abnormal in another; go figure? It's hard to comprehend this world we are all apart of...the paradox is that although we are obviously very different; we are in many ways, very much the same.
I enjoy reading about your unsual and strange experiences!
so if you are a "fox" you should find out what "Chandra" means?:)heheh
stay well, carl

 
At Wednesday, February 14, 2007 10:48:00 PM, Blogger Ilsa said...

Chandra means 'old fox' hee hee

 
At Thursday, February 15, 2007 8:13:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's not nice to tease someone with a bad heart. "Chandra" is a Hindi word that means bright, shining moon, or full moon, I think. It is a male name in their culture. Go figure.

And yes, Lisa, great photos. Have fun in Murmansk.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home