Saturday, January 13, 2007

Red Square


On my first weekend in Moscow, I visited Red Square. It was cold and there was snow then. It was exciting to see this notorious place in person. Only a few blocks from our admin office in the city centre, it has become my main focal point for finding my way in the centre.

Red Square separates the kremlin from the President's official residence called 'Kitay-Gorad' (which means 'China Town' in Russian, although I've yet to see a Chinese person here). The city closes the streets in Moscow for Putin and his bodyguards to pass through every working day.

I used to think that the colorful St Basil's Cathedral pictured here was the famous kremlin; but, nope - its a 16th century church inside red square. Legend has it that Ivan the Terrible ordered blindness for the architect, Postnik Yakovlev, so he wouldn't be able to create anything else that could rival its beauty. Each of the nine onion domes are on top of a chapel. I haven't gone inside yet - I hear its rather disappointing.


Lenins tomb is in the centre - off to the side and in front of the red brick walls and towers which surround the Kremlin.
Check out the red star on the tower.

1 Comments:

At Sunday, January 14, 2007 7:47:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Lisa,
Fascinating!! As usual, enjoyed your blog very much. "Big" Lisa doesn't seem so bad !!! Because of the new TV program,"Ugly Betty," I now get these "amused looks when I say my name> Also, do you recall the name of that elephant at the travelling circus one time at home??
Keep up the good work. Seems as if you have found some friends to enjoy Moscow with.
Love, Mom

 

Post a Comment

<< Home