Saturday, July 22, 2006

Crazy Days

Logistics of traveling are not always so pleasant... linesups, unbearable heat, slow trains, ferries, buses, airports.... for three days. Sometimes you just have to do it. I did it because I already had my eurail pass and thought this was the most economical route. Would I do it again? Probably not. But I think everyone should learn to appreciate the tough part of traveling (however, talk to me prior to undertaking a 19-hour ferry ride). As well, I now know that a flight would have been cheaper and allowed me more time in Rome but that's life.

What did I learn? Well you can pretty much sleep anywhere if you are really exhausted. And misery loves company so you will always meet someone.


I landed in Tel Aviv early yesterday morning and waited for the Mexican group that I joined because of my friend, Luly, who stayed with me last summer.

The hotel in Jerusalem is also something of an adventure. At dinner, the Jewish people were singing and I was trying to speak Spanish with my new friends and then an Arabic wedding came through. What a celebration. They were throwing the groom into the air and carrying the bride (completely wrapped in white). Luly's cousins were wearing scarfs they had from Egypt and they also have Mid Eastern look. We were asked to join the party. The men carried the bride and groom into the ballroom and all the women (only women) followed. There must have been about 500 people in there. The dresses were elaborate as were the decorations. Two little girls became enamoured with me as I was in awe of everything else around me. They kept asking me to pick them up and kissing me. So cute.

I can't post the photos as this computer is old but will try to find an internet cafe tomorrow.

Stay with me now, will ya?

1 Comments:

At Monday, July 24, 2006 12:16:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

While in Israel, please convey your dismay regarding the killing of innocent civilians including Canadians in Lebanon. Don't worry, Lisa, Israeli prisons can be an adventure, too.
Gib

 

Post a Comment

<< Home