Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Under the Tuscan Sun


Tuscany is everything I thought it would be and more. A landscape of vineyards, olive groves, sunflowers, and wheat fields kept me alive during a gruelling uphill bike ride (although at one point a nice man stopped and gave me short ride as he must have noticed the near-death expression on my face prior to the steepest hill I have ever seen. That or because I was at a complete stop resting against the bike and nearly got hit by a car (man the roads are narrow here). A few more km and a little downhill, I stopped at a campground for a glass of wine only to be entertained by the owner and some of his guests. They ensured I was fed and watered before heading out again. Because I got a little lost it ended up being 30 km all together and 4 days later I am still suffering. The hot sun make it a bit hazy during the day but sunsets are breath-taking.



I am staying at a hostel in Certaldo, Tuscany that was once a monastary and has been in this Italian family since the 17th Century. There is a refreshing pool and fantastic grounds for exploring. Customized day tours, cooking classes, and great people coming and going make it a wonderful spot stay put for a while. There's a midieval town on top of the hill in Certaldo (like almost every town in Tuscany). There happened to be a festival going on last weekend, showcasing artisans, musicians, skits, acrobatics, fire eaters, etc. Crazy costumes, glass blowing, mimess - very exciting but forgot my camera so try to use your imagination, or better yet, check it out for yourself one day.

While some of you folks were surviving the Calgary Stampede or mud wrestling in Craven, Saskatchewan (do they still do that there?), I took in the Ben Harper concert at the Pistoia Blues Festival. The venue was fabulous - a Piazza (square) with an an old church and lots of hippies for the pleasure of people watching. Despite the tight security and police dogs, pretty much everyone managed to 'Burn one Down'.

On a past day tour, we stopped in Vinci and saw the Leonardo's family home and a museum with some of his drawings and models of the drawings. Definitely a genius before his time.


Also had to check out the world's best ice cream (photo below is only a few of their rich flavours).

Another day tour to Sienna afforded me the great pizza and a coke for 4 Euro. These Italians really know about food.


Had the place to myself today to do laundry, swim, and read a book - you are forunate not to see the flip side of my feet on this hammock.


Birthday greetings to Aunt Margie, Bobbi, and Don this week, also thinking of dear Dallas!

8 Comments:

At Tuesday, July 18, 2006 8:43:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lisa, I sent you an email and then caught up on the blog. Ahhh, Tuscany, one of the top 10 before I die stops for me. Thank goodness you have the ovaries to do it. You look beautiful and happy. Be safe and write soon. Miss you and love you.
Diana
P.S. sorry about the bad CAA map :)

 
At Tuesday, July 18, 2006 8:44:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey auntie lisa how are you?? i miss you so much reading your blog is fun it is so interesting and it sounds like your having fun!!:);)well keep writting in your blog and telling us stuff

love
Ashley

p.s how was that ice cream??

 
At Wednesday, July 19, 2006 3:03:00 AM, Blogger Ilsa said...

Hey princess I am thinking of you lots because there are many castles in Europe (where you belong of course. I must bring you back here (with Diana) and we'll go get some of that ice cream.
L

 
At Thursday, July 20, 2006 2:19:00 PM, Blogger Rob Huck said...

Ben Harper's fantastic, no? Hope you didn't get burnt.

 
At Thursday, July 20, 2006 11:15:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Der Lisa,
I can't get over der beautiful pictures in der blog. You der lookin' so good in der pictures. I want to spread der peanut butter all over you and have you der for breakfast!...We Swedes liken der peanut butter!
Love,
Gib The Kid

 
At Friday, July 21, 2006 2:21:00 PM, Blogger Ilsa said...

ben harper IS fantastic - was difficult not to get a little burnt. some very big names frequent these little tuscany towns with their summer festivals - eric clapton, santana... too cool.

and gib - my neice is reading these you naughty boy.

 
At Saturday, July 22, 2006 7:23:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And so is her big brother!!

 
At Sunday, July 23, 2006 3:07:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought everybody likes der peanut butter!?
Lisa, you know I am allergic to peanuts!
Hope you havin' good times!
Gib

 

Post a Comment

<< Home