Saturday, March 22, 2008

Hola de Guatemala


So I´m on the road again. Terri and Copper saw me off at Calgary airport. It was difficult to leave, knowing baby Copper will grow so much by the time I see her again. Boo hoo.


I arrived in Quetzaltenango, or Xela, on Tuesday. It was a long journey, with two transfers, a five hour bus ride, and a two-hour walk with my incredibly heavy backpack, trying to find a banco to change my dollars to Quetzals so I could get a taxi. Ah the joy of traveling. I am still nursing blisters.

My purpose here is to learn some Spanish and maybe do some volunteering before I head off for more exploring of Central and South Americas.

My host family is very friendly and accomodating. Their father, who has since passed, ran a piñata factory. One of the brothers took it over and there are a few being manufactured at home. This was my first sight upon entering the house.


Señora is a really good cook, although I had a bit of trouble choking down the meals with everyone watching me so intently. That and the unfriendly odour....

As far as I know, in the house lives Helen, who is a teacher at my school, her brother (with special needs, but I don´t think he gets them), Bwendy, who is four (her mother, a friend of the family, lives in Guatemala city and comes back and stays on weekends), Señora, who runs a small confectionary shop at the front of the house and keeps the house in order, and two men who board. They both left their wives several years ago. We all share a bathroom.

It´s Santa Semana (Holy Week) so there have been many processions with dreary music and hand-held floats. They were various ones on Thursdays and on Good Friday, they went on for ten hours, with the floats becoming more and more grand. By evening, there were thousands of people gathered around central park to watch or participate.




Holy incense! cough cough





At night everything was lit up with candles. It was quite spectacular. I didn´t bother taking pictures since my camera is no good at night.


I took the opportunity to skip out on the family while they were out and found a hostel. I feel bad about it as they are so nice, but the place was grossing me out mucho mas. I´ll have to pay extra for accomodations, but luckily, things are pretty cheap here for us gringos.
I´m going to miss Bwendy helping me with my pronunciation..


This is Central Parque on Saturday. I´m waiting to see what events and traditions the anniversary of Jesus rising brings to town. Hopefully it will be less strenuous on procession participants.

Happy Easter... hasta Luego!

3 Comments:

At Monday, March 24, 2008 1:30:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! Great! You are in Guatemala, and i can't believe it.
Semyon.

 
At Monday, March 31, 2008 3:10:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lisa - Hope all is well. I phoned Terry as I was worried that I hadn't heard from you. In her message back she gave me your blog. Duh?! I forgot. Glad you moved - you didn't sound too happy in your hacienda. How are the espanol lessons. Miss you and am nervous and excited to start the new job on Monday. ugh!
love
diana

 
At Monday, March 31, 2008 8:59:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting your new and exciting adventures! I always enjoy reading and seeing your great photos!!!
Take care,
carl

 

Post a Comment

<< Home